Saturday, February 12, 2011

Lazy woman's bread part 3: Bouhl

Bouhl is a fancy term for what I call a round loaf.  Which is completely versitile.  I have used it for soup bowls, for sandwiches, it is fabulous when you make the knorr vegetable dip and use it as a bread bowl.  A huge crowd pleaser.  This day I used it for garlic bread with our spaghetti dinner.  We had homemade spaghetti sauce all ingredients right out of our summer garden perserved for a fridged winter night like this to have a taste of summer.  Also meat balls made from our homegrown turkeys that we ground ourselves.  I also served green beans steamed from the freezer which also came from our garden.  The only thing that was store bought unfortunately was the pasta.  My mother insisted on confiscating my kitchen aid attachment pasta maker last time she was here.  Ok ok I guess it did belong to her but still  :).  And it is a bit pricey for me to justify purchasing.  And I am domestic and all but you won't find me hand rolling pasta when I can get it in a box for a buck.

So you take your dough from the fridge.  Preheat your oven to 450.  Sprinkle your stone, or if you have a pizza peal then put your stone in the oven while it preheats and do everything else on your pizza peal, but since I don't have a pizza peal I just do everything directly on the stone.  Sprinkle the stone with corn meal. 



Grab a hunk about the size of a grapefruit.

Use your hands to form it into a ball.  Rolling it under, turning a quarter turn each time.  It should be smooth on the top.  This whole process should take all of about 30 seconds.




 Let the dough rest for about 30 minutes...about the time it takes for the oven to preheat.

 When your oven is preheated sprinkle with flour.

Take a knife and cut slits into the dough.  You can make what ever pattern you choose.


Sometimes this dough can be funny depending on how long it sits.  What I have found though is that it all tastes the same may just not be as pretty.  But 90% of the time they do turn out very pretty.

Cut into slices covered in butter garlic and herbs put under the broiler for couple minutes you won't even care what the loaf looks like...mmmmm.

there you have it now we have made 4 foccia breads(we had pizza another night) and two loaves of bread.  The garlic bread was made from one loaf my family devoured the other the next day.  This bread does not store long.  Which is fine since it doesn't usually last long :)  It does store well for 1-2 days but not air tight.  I usually use paper bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!! I love to hear feed back so comment away :)