Friday, December 24, 2010

Spreading the Christmas spirit.

After a friends post yesterday concerning how it is hard to see that Christmas is the best time of year if you spend any amount of time at a public place, especially at a store. I was reminded of this experience that happened to me on Dec. 23rd two years ago. At the time I wrote about it on my myspace account. I copied and pasted it here as a reminder to myself and others that if we slow down and watch moments like these may not happen every day but when they do they impact you for years to come. I still not only remember the day but that same emotion that overwhelmed me and changed me.



I was at the grocery store today. When I got to the check out my total was $56. I checked in my wallet and I only had $46 in my wallet. I then reached for my debit card and it wasn't there. Then I remember that I had given it to Ryan the other day and never got it back from him. I don't carry credit cards with me. At this point there was a man in line waiting behind me. Then another cashier came and he went in her line. (this is just a small grocery store and it is about 25 min from my house) So I offer to write a check and they say they can only take checks if you have a prefered card. So I ask if I can fill one out. They said sure but it will take a week to process so it won't help today. Then I procede to call Ryan to try and get my debit card number from him. He doesn't answer his phone. So I am standing there trying to figure out what I am going to do. All the stuff I got we needed and I really didn't want to have to go to the store again before tomorrow(Christmas eve). Then the guy that was in line behind me hands the cashier $10 dollars and says he will take care of it. I was a bit caught off gaurd and if I had had time to process I probably would have refused. I asked him if he was sure and he said yes. Then I asked for his number so I could pay him back and he said no don't worry about it it's only $10. Then he walked out the door. I was so floored that someone would do that I started crying. I mean during this time of year when people are busy, in a hurry, and down right rude especially if you are taking too much time in line at the store. This man helped me for no other reason than to be a nice person. It makes me want to be a better person. I mean would I have done the same thing or would I have rolled my eyes at the person for taking up my precious time. On the way home I prayed for that man and his family that God would give them an extra blessing this Christmas. Then I prayed He would give me an opportunity to be a blessing to someone else the way this man was to me. Just a little touchy feely story for you.


Though I do not know his name or his situation in life I to this day still pray for him and the ones he loves every Christmas.

Merry Christmas everyone and I pray that each of us will have the opportunity to make someones elses Christmas Merrier this year and when the opportunity comes we won't be so "busy" that we don't notice.



.

2 comments:

  1. That's an aweome story. Someone did that for me when I was very young, probably eight or nine. I was trying to buy a magazine and short by a quarter, my mom had left the store and I didn't know what to do but the lady behind me gave me the quarter.
    It was pretty small, and maybe she just wanted me out of the way, but I still remember it.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! Our family had the privilege of being able to bless a complete stranger the other day at a store. We asked God to show us who He wanted it to go to, and it was as much of a blessing to us as to them. It turned out that the lady was buying items for a men's shelter (we didn't know this before we gave her the cash) so it was a double blessing besides. You are right~ these people remain in your thoughts and prayers for a long time afterward. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!! I love to hear feed back so comment away :)