Tuesday, June 15, 2010

First farmers market experience.

So a friend and I decided to do a farmers market booth together.  I didn't really plan  my garden with the market in mind but my friend did.  So I am focusing more on baking, pastas and what ever else I can come up with.  So I was more than a little unprepared.  Well in all fairness it is pretty hard to be prepared for something that you have never done before.  So I went into it with the mind frame that it is  a learning experience.  So I brought 3 loaves of artisan bread, 3 loaves of zucchini bread, chocolate pumpkin bars, aloe plants and tomato plants.  The artisan bread and zucchini bread sold out quickly.  Quickly as in the market started at 4 and the bread was gone by 4:15!!  So I definitely need to find a way to get more of that made.  I also plan to make some homemade pasta and granola.  I actually already have an order for pasta for next week.  I am trying to make this worth my while.  I am still working on it but I will let you know what I come up with.  The other challange for me is to come up with a fair price.  I think I have a tendancy to undersell myself.  So I think after my first day I realized that I really need to raise my prices a bit.  This was my first experience with the farmers market as a vendor.  Next learning experience Saturday!

Sorry still no camera charger so no pictures :(  I am having serious withdrawls.

2 comments:

  1. We definitely undersell ourselves too, but we're selling surplus roosters and just really want to get rid of them LOL! Sounds like you had a good outing and it can only get better. :) I really enjoyed my first time going to one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! Good for you! Farmers markets have been on my agenda for the summer, too. I have sold at 1 several years ago, but now that the kids are bigger I would like to try it again. We have had lots of success with bake sales during our garage sales. I have a fabulous cookie recipe that will for sure bring customers back http://ourcrazyfarm.blogspot.com/2009/04/too-good-cookies.html or there's always monkey bread http://ourcrazyfarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/monkey-bread.html yummy! I also tend to underprice, maybe because I know what I would want to pay for things, but home made is rare these days so you are really selling your time and talent as well.

    Have you checked the toy box for the charger? We went for a couple of weeks here without one last year and I happened to find it in the toy box. I can sympathize with your pain:))) You can always pray, God knows exactly where it is:)))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!! I love to hear feed back so comment away :)