Monday, May 10, 2010

Turkey update!

Ok Ok I know I promised one of these a while back but all you country girls know what time of year it is.  Which means you also understand that it is hard enough to keep you head on straight because of the amount of work that needs to be done.  Let alone trying to keep a blog straight.  So true to my motto "Better late than never ;)"

Remember those cute little fluffy birds a few weeks back?  Well here they are now.
Not so little anymore.  As you may notice there are only 4 instead of 5.  I was going to mention later in my vacation posts about the phone call received while on vacation from my friend that was taking care of my animals that one of them was killed :(  Turns out she decided to leave them out over night which was a big mistake.  They need to be locked up at night because all sorts of things would like to make them a midnight snack.
Here is Kermit struting his stuff. 
We have 3 males and one female.  Not that it is relevant when they are going to be dinner.

Tukreys for us have been a pretty easy animal and we enjoy them both alive and on the dinner table.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your little turkey. We tried raising turkeys a couple of years. The first year we succeeded to raise 4 out of 8, but when we finally got them butchered they weighed 40-50 pounds each!! The next year I managed to kill off all 8 of the little buggers, altho a couple were sheer suicide~ what do you expect when you jump out of a secure cage right in front of a waiting cat??! A turkey farmer I am not:)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. This farm girl is right there with you on being too busy to post lol.

    They are so cute! We have six in the incubator right now. They are about halfway done. I can't wait! :)

    I would have been sooooo pissed if the person watching my animals had left my turkeys out overnight! That's like my friend not feeding my goats all weekend while we were gone. I haven't ever asked for his help again lol.

    Thanks for the update. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!! I love to hear feed back so comment away :)