Thursday, September 9, 2010

Riding lessons

Something that people (non horse friends usually) ask me is "Why do you take lessons, I thought you know how to ride?"  It does take everything in me to not just burst out laughing.  I usually just chuckle a bit and then try to explain the best I can that after riding for the past 25 years and taking lessons for over 10 of those years that I am still not good enough nor will I EVER be too good to take lessons.  I can tell even when I say it that it goes in one ear and out the other.  Not because they don't care but because it just doesn't make any sort of logical sense.  I mean I don't blame them I even struggle with the idea that I am giving lessons (beginner) and taking them too.  HA this humors me a bit.

It is a frustrating thing to try to explain to people.  You could get into the details about constantly critiquing posture and leg position, where your hands are, how long your reins are at any given moment.  But you quickly start to see their eyes glaze over and you realize they have not one clue what you are taking about.  They nod their head and you change the subject because, well, whats the point? 

The bottom line is the more I learn the more I realize I still have to learn.  With each new break through between me and Steady for as gratifying as it is, it really just opens about 3 more doors for things to work on.  But never at any point does this become discouraging.  Why?  Well if you ride, and I mean REALLY ride you know that answer and if you don't, well then, what's the point????

Favorite quote of the day: "If you want to ride for fun, then go ride a carousel".

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with this. I don't guess anyone has ever actually asked me that, but I would just tell them that it's like every other sport or artform. No matter how good you get there is always room for improvement and there is always someone who is better than you with more experience that can teach you something new. That's how I've always thought of it anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you only freinds with horse people LOL? I posted this yesterday and someone actually already asked me the question today. I don't though have any horse/riding friends. I think people think of riding less of an art form and more like riding a bike. Once you know how you never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I guess I just don't talk horses with my non-horse friends. They don't even know what the different breeds are and they call a chestnut horse red so I guess we just never get as far as talking about riding or lessons. They have never even heard the word dressage lol! :) Next time someone asks you that just tell them it's not like riding a bike, that it's an art form that take years to master lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!! I love to hear feed back so comment away :)